Dill is a favorite at our house and so I put it in things like curries, rice, rotis etc. Dill is available in bulk during the Fall and Spring season in the Indian groceries and so we use it the most then. Dill is not only nutritional but adds a distinct flavor to dishes. This is one such wholesome recipe as it uses Dill, vegetable and also Daal.
- 1/2 cup toor daal
- 2 cups dill
- Handful of beans
- 1 medium onion
- ½ cup shredded coconut fresh/frozen
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- Tamarind paste (per taste)
- 2-3 red chillies
- Little turmeric
- Little jaggery for taste
- Grind the ingredients above by adding water and making a paste.
- Chop the beans and put it in enough water. Boil the same separately until cooked. Retain the cooked water.
- Cut the dill, onion and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the daal with sufficient water and keep aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add the curry leaves, chopped onion and sauté it until it becomes transparent.
- Add the chopped dill leaves and fry until it cooks a bit.
- Add the ground masala paste and cook until the raw smell of the coconut paste is gone. Add little oil if necessary.
- Add the cooked beans, salt and daal and allow to boil. Mix well. Taste and adjust any seasonings.