MethKoot / Menthe Hittu/ Spiced Lentil Powder

methcoot-005

D

DH quite recently had to go to India for his office work and on his return brought back lots of munchies and goodies. Without any surprise MIL, my parents fondly sent back stuff that would last for almost 6 months. While unpacking the goodies, I also saw this big packet of Spiced Lentil Powder sent by my mother.

The Spiced Lentil powder called as MethKoot/Methi Coot (Marathi/Konkani), Menthe Hittu (Kannada) is basically roasted Lentil, spiced with roasted cumin seeds, fenugreek, ginger, pepper etc and ground to fine powder. Methi or Menthe refers to Fenugreek seeds. Just by itself this is a spicy dry powder with no taste of its own, but once it is mixed with hot rice, dollop of ghee/oil and pinch of salt magic happens and the taste is simply divine.

Growing up, we always used to have this powder stacked up in a yellow green container.  For me and my brother it used to be our go-to meal whenever we did not find food to our liking. We would eat it during those mid-afternoon cravings or when we wanted something light. Because of the presence of lentils, even small quantity fills up the stomach pretty fast.

This is my Mother’s recipe for making the powder. In fact, the powder in the picture is also of the one she sent me.  The ‘dutiful’ daughter that I am promptly took the picture and intend to save the recipe for future reference.

Thank you very much for the recipe dear Aayi, Baba I hope to cherish this forever.

methcoot1-003

Ingredients:

•  2 cups cup bengal gram/chana daal
  • 1 cup black gram/urad daal
  • 1 cup Hurigadale(Roasted and puffed Bengal gram)
  • 1 tsp Cummin seeds
  • 1 to 1 ½ Tbsp Black Pepper
  • Small piece dry ginger
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
  • 4 to 5 dried red chillies
  • 1/2 tsp asafoetida
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • Salt to taste

methkoot12-013

Method:

• Dry roast all the ingredients separately in a heavy bottom pan(except the turmeric, Hurigadala, Ginger and salt).
  • Roast until the lentils get a light brown color, do not over roast or burn it. The roasting part requires plenty of patience.
  • Grind everything to a fine powder. (Do not add water to this).
  • This powder lasts for weeks and even months without problem. Make sure to store it in an air tight container.
  • Serving Instructions: Take a cup full of hot rice, put in a dollop of ghee (clarified butter)/oil , 1 Tbsp of this Spiced Powder, salt and mix well with hand so that the spiced powder gets evenly coated on the rice. Eat immediately, instant heaven J
  • Note: If you do not want to use ghee/oil, then by all means use yogurt, buttermilk. But the difference in taste is day and night.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Website Pin Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Premium Responsive

32 comments

1. Desi Soccer Mom says:

Love methkoot. Haven’t had it for years though. It is such a staple of Maharashtrian kitchen I can’t believe I don’t keep it in my pantry. Thank you for reminding me.

2. Mansi says:

Hey, I haven’t had methkoot for ages now..I absouletly love it and have it with ghee and rice. Your post reminds me that I should get this when I go to India next. Great to see the recipe.

3. Vaishali says:

Your recipes always take me back to my childhood, RC. I remember mixing rice with methkoot and some oil and it used to be so delicious. Thanks for a lovely, nostalgia-awakening recipe! :)

4. Sonu says:

This thing is new to me. Our parents always do care of their children and how obedient child you are! Posting such a nice pics and recipe of your Aayi!!! :)

5. Sharmila says:

I have always seen this on shelves … never got to ask anybody what is it used for. Thanks so much for mentioning how to eat it RC! Am sure the freshly made one would be much better than store bought. :-)

6. arundati says:

i’d been searching for a recipe for this as i tried to make it after reading the ingredients on the packet and failed miserably…thanks…. with hot rice and ghee, this is divine!!

7. PARI says:

These podis and chutneys are my saviour on days when there’s no mood to cook. Just cook rice and should have filtered ground nut oil(not easily available)and mix it up. Love ur version. Saved it for future reference.

8. Aparna says:

I got this powder from my uncle(my amma never prprd this :P) as he stays in blore….i loved it in buttermilk…..never tried in rice…..next time when i move to blore i will get it nd try it in ur version :)

9. Usha says:

This reminds me a little of our parappu podi (lentil powder) which we mix in with rice and have too, looks delicious. Would love to try it…

10. Soma says:

This is a keeper Supriya, straight from home. I make powders, but i just use whatever i want depending on my mood. & to the frustration it never turns out the same .. DD1 loves ghee & hot white rice. we love ours with ghee & idli.. Actually i use these powders everywhere:-)

11. Divya says:

Wow..that’s a new dish for me..never heard of it!!Looks great and after reading your description of mixing it with rice..my mouth is watering..;):)

12. PJ says:

Hi Supriya,made this last week..[Posted it in my blog yesterday]Absoultely delicious with piping hot rice and some crispies.Half the jar is already gone!Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe

13. Sweetyhoney says:

Thanks for your reply Supriya:)can i use ground ginger instead of dried ginger..?

I recently found your blog and Loved this recipe … too gud …Thanks..

14. Sneha says:

My mum and I just made methkoot using this receipe. We made half the quantity as a trial and its come out perfect! Thanks a lot! :)