This Raw Mango Rice called as ‘Mavinakayi Chitranna’ in Kannada is a variation of the usual Mango Rice recipe that I have posted here. In the latter version, all the ingredients are mixed and cooked over the stove top; where as in this version, the cooked rice is mixed along with raw mango paste and then aptly seasoned. Of course, for this version the seasoning plays a very important role and needs to be as strong as possible. This is achieved by using good asafetida, fresh curry leaves and good dried chillies.
I got this recipe from my MIL who happened to see this in a cookery program on TV. She passed along this recipe last week. Since I had a raw mango, I gave it a try this week and we loved the taste. The tanginess for this rice comes from the raw mango and there is no need to add lemon juice to this.
I have also posted a basic variation of Chitranna (without any raw mango) here.
- 2 cups cooked rice (warm)
- 1 cup grated raw mango (green mango/ kairi/mavinakayi) [roughly remove the skin, no need to remove it completely]
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 green chillies (chopped finely) /red chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp methi seeds
For the seasoning (tadka)
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- Asafetida a pinch
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad daal
- ½ cup groundnuts/peanuts
- Dried red chillies (broken)
- Slightly roast the mustard seeds and methi seeds with little or no oil. Powder it and keep aside.
- Mix together the coconut, green chillies, grated raw mango, salt using hands.
- Take a big plate and spread out the warm rice making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, little oil and the grated mango-coconut paste from above.
- Add the mustard seeds methi seeds powder and mix well with hands. Check for taste and adjust.
- Now prepare the seasoning: take a big pan, add oil on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter, and then add peanuts, asafetida and keep stirring.
- Add the urad daal, curry leaves, dried red chillies and mix again until the urad daal browns evenly.
- Pour this over the rice mixture and mix well. Serve warm with some yogurt and some roasted pappads.