Lemon Barley Drink

lemon_barley 011

Hope you all had a good weekend. For us here in the US, Monday was the Memorial Day and hence we got the day off; so it was an extended weekend after a long time. Memorial Day also marks the unofficial start of summer and boy are the temperatures sticking to their schedules. It is just the beginning of summer and the temperatures here in Texas are already in the upper 90 F.

Hot summer days calls for good refreshing drinks and so I made this Lemon Barley drink.  This is a very simple drink that can be made in no time. I have already posted a savory barley drink before which tastes good when it is hot. But this one has sweeter, lemony flavor which tastes good when it is cold. Good one’s for those hot summer days.

Not only is this drink refreshing, but barley provides good amount of nutrition. Whole grain barley is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids essential for our health. Barley is one of the richest sources of both soluble and insoluble fiber.

Health benefits of barley? Read this website here, it is truly mind boggling.

barley_lemon 001

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup whole barley ( I used quick cooking barley)
  • 3-4 cups water
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Procedure:

• Take water in a big pan and bring it to boil. Add the barley to it, cover it with lid and let it simmer. Depending on the type of barley used it takes 15 -35 minutes to cook.
  • Now strain the cooked liquid into a large jug.  Optionally grind the barley along with the cooked water (this is what I did).
  • Squeeze the juice of the lemon and add this to the barley water and mix well.
  • You can also add the rind of the lemon (minus the white pith) to this.
  • Finally stir in the sugar and let it sit for a while. Stir in between and refrigerate it.

Store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

25 comments

1. Asha says:

I know!! It already seems like it’s been Summer for a long time here, from Winter to Summer!! Fortunately, it’s been raining for last few weeks often, so we are good.

Nice cooling drink for hot days, love the color!:)

2. indosungod says:

Here the summer is ahead of schedule but no complaints, like it this way. There are not many recipes with barley around and this one looks great. Breakfast perhaps?

3. Desi Soccer Mom says:

I have never had barley before, as a drink or as a grain. Got to get some and try this. As always, lovely click. Perfect for the hot summer. 🙂

Supriya, I posted a fiction piece on my blog I think you will relate to. Check it out when you have time. 🙂

4. redchillies says:

Thanks ISG. That is what I did for 3 days, I stocked it in bottle and took it to work and had it for breakfast. It is filling.

5. Aps says:

I never had a barley drink b4… so dont even know how it turns out to be….:( but then when i see ur pics they r calling me to try them out pick the glass from here itself 😛
    Luks gr8

6. aqua says:

I always associate barley with falling ill – I got…umm…sick of drinking it!
    Then had some a couple of months ago at a friend’s and started to like it all over again. Lovely pictures, as alway!

7. PJ says:

Lovely and refreshing.I was just wondering if can use ready made barley powder for this as I have a whole box of it unused.

8. redchillies says:

Thanks all,

Thanks PJ. Barley powder also works for this one. I am sure there will be no difference in taste.

9. BongMom says:

RC

I always thought you were in Calif. !!! The pic is looking very pretty and summery.

The veg. balls that you made, looks like a wonderful idea. Will do that in my pan

10. Alvaro Reichard says:

Thanks for all your work on this website. My daughter delights in going through research and it’s obvious why. We all know all about the powerful method you convey vital suggestions by means of the website and therefore welcome contribution from the others on the idea while our favorite child has been studying a lot. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You are always conducting a useful job.