Hope you all had a good weekend. For us here in the US, Monday was the Memorial Day and hence we got the day off; so it was an extended weekend after a long time. Memorial Day also marks the unofficial start of summer and boy are the temperatures sticking to their schedules. It is just the beginning of summer and the temperatures here in Texas are already in the upper 90 F.
Hot summer days calls for good refreshing drinks and so I made this Lemon Barley drink. This is a very simple drink that can be made in no time. I have already posted a savory barley drink before which tastes good when it is hot. But this one has sweeter, lemony flavor which tastes good when it is cold. Good one’s for those hot summer days.
Not only is this drink refreshing, but barley provides good amount of nutrition. Whole grain barley is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids essential for our health. Barley is one of the richest sources of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Health benefits of barley? Read this website here, it is truly mind boggling.
- 1/3 cup whole barley ( I used quick cooking barley)
- 3-4 cups water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Take water in a big pan and bring it to boil. Add the barley to it, cover it with lid and let it simmer. Depending on the type of barley used it takes 15 -35 minutes to cook.
- Now strain the cooked liquid into a large jug. Optionally grind the barley along with the cooked water (this is what I did).
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon and add this to the barley water and mix well.
- You can also add the rind of the lemon (minus the white pith) to this.
- Finally stir in the sugar and let it sit for a while. Stir in between and refrigerate it.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.