It is not often that you would find recipes with mushroom in the RedChillies household. The reason being that the Chief Chef of the house (a.k.a me) is not a big fan of them. If I had my way then the mushrooms would not have seen the light of the day in our kitchen. J But it is not meant to be as the kiddo loves mushrooms and with all the motherly instincts/love intact I have no option but to cook with them and also get accustomed to the taste.
I have prepared a mushroom curry before and this time decided to try it in a rice dish as quick fried rice. This is such an easy recipe to prepare and gets done in no time. I got the idea for this rice when my colleague had brought mushroom pulao for lunch. She had blended cumin seeds, garlic and pepper for the base and that gave a unique flavor the dish. But I decided to take the easy route and just use garam masala and give the mushrooms some punch.
Mushrooms blend very well with spices like cinnamon and cloves. The flavor a of Garam masala stands out and makes this dish very fragrant. If you do not like mushrooms then you could substitute with other vegetables of choice like brinjal, capsicum, tindora etc.
- 1 cup rice (uncooked) [basmati is preferred]
- 8-10 button mushrooms
- 3-4 green chillies slit
- 1 big onion
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper corns (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4-5 cloves
- 1″ cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Clean the mushrooms with damp cloth and chop them. Chop the onion lengthwise. Keep aside.
- Cook the rice separately either on stove top or pressure cooker using enough water. Make sure it cooks well and grains are separate and not mushy.
- Take a big plate and spread out the rice, add little oil, salt and mix.
- Take a big skillet, add oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and mix. Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and fry again.
- Add the chopped onions and stir until it slightly cooks. Now add the chopped mushrooms, green chillies and continue to stir.
- After it is cooked, add the garam masala, crushed pepper powder and mix until it is neatly coated.
- Add the rice and mix thoroughly. Cover the lid and let it cook for a while.
- Serve hot. Tastes delicious as is or with side of raita.