You know what Masala Papads are? Crispy papads topped with spicy tomato onion salad that makes a refreshing starter/appetizer? The one’s you find on the top of a restaurant menu, right?
Well, I tweaked it a bit and crushed the papads and mixed it with the salad. The reason for this is that I misplaced the wire mesh which I use to roast papads. Now this wire mesh has a handle, which is used as a barrier from touching the gas flame directly.
Like I said, I misplaced the mesh and when I roasted them directly on the flame, they began to curl at the edges and formed an un-even cup. A big no-no if you want to make masala papads, which calls for flat roasted papads.
Now, I am not too fond of roasting the pappads in the microwave or on the Tava. I like to do it the old fashioned way, which is roasting it on the gas flame and seeing it lightly charred. My mom roasts them directly on flames without using a wire mesh or the tongs, but I get intimidated and have to use a wire mesh.
Anyway, all this lead me to make an unintended tweak to the original recipe. But we enjoyed it anyway as a side dish with our meal.
I would love to hear, how you generally roast the papads?
Hope you enjoy this quick fix, tasty snack or a side dish for lunches.
Have a great weekend, yall!
- 5-6 pappads
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chillis (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Juice of a lemon
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- Roast the papads on a medium flame and keep aside. Crush them into medium pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the onions, tomatoes, lemon juice, pepper powder and salt and mix well. Check for taste.
- Add the crushed pappads to this, gently stir one or twice.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.