Raw banana or plantain has always been a favorite in our family. It is predominantly used in the South Indian homes for many different recipes. I try different recipes using this at home mainly being the Raw Banana Dosa and green banana fry. This curry is simple yet delectable and goes well with rotis or rice.
- 1 raw banana/plantain (peeled and chopped into small cubes)
- 1 ripe tomato (medium size chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Turmeric a pinch
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp jeera + coriander powder
- Handful coriander leaves for garnishing
- asafetida a pinch
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat a small vessel, boil water and add the chopped plantain. Add salt and let it boil. Keep aside. Do not drain water. (Alternatively you can boil this in the microwave).
- In a medium pan, heat some oil add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad daal. When the daal turns light brown add curry leaves and asafetida
- Next add the chopped onion and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin coriander powder and stir.
- Add the cooked plantain along with water, chopped tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
- The chopped tomatoes cook fast and add a tangy taste to this dish.
- Finally sprinkle in the cut coriander leaves and mix finely. Serve with Rotis, Rice.