Leftover Idli? Try Idli fries

Whenever I have leftover Idlis, I usually make Idli Upma or Idli Roast. Idli Roast is shallow frying whole Idlis on a flat pan, until it is crunch on the outside and soft on the inside. Suffice to say that many a times; we look forward to eating Idly roast more than the regular Idlis.

I got this idea of cutting the idlis as strips and making Idli Fries, when I was flipping through a food magazine at a dentist’s office. The recipe there was for making baked fries using Polenta, somewhat similar to this. I loved the idea and used the concept for making Idli Fries.

Even though this called as Fries, the Idli strips are shallow fired and not-deep fried. It’s an extension to the Idli Roast in the sense these are cut as strips instead of using whole Idlis for roasting.

The kids will love this, not only for taste but also for the shape. It is easy to prepare and makes a good evening snack. I think it is a cool idea to pack this as a side item in the kid’s lunch boxes. The next time around I plan to add some shredded carrots, peas to make it more filling and nutritious.

• Leftover Idlis
  •  Curry leaves
  •  Coriander leaves (optional)
  •  Sesame seeds(optional)
  •  Mustard seeds
  •  Oil, salt

• Take Idlis and cut them into strips (like cutting potato French fries). I cut them thicker that the usual potato fries.
  • Take a thick flat pan (preferable non-stick), and add oil on medium to high heat.
  • Add the cut idlis and toss it around in the pan. Do not handle them a lot as it tends to break. (I used rubber spatula to turn them around).
  • Add little more oil onto a side and ddd mustard seeds, chopped curry leaves, sesame seeds and toss around again.
  • Adding salt is optional as it depends on the idlis.
  • Make sure that the idli fries, brown evenly on all the sides.
  •  Garnish with chopped coriander (optional). Serve Hot.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Desi Soccer Mom says:

Ok, I was totally gonna post the same thing without the curry leaves tadka cause I make it for my son. But yours look so much better and are an adult version of my kid version. I think the coconut and peas will be great in it.
    Mine are much simpler with just salt and pepper and ‘fried’ on a cast iron tava with some ghee. Of course, the ketchupholic that my son is, he eats it with ketchup.

2. Mayuri says:

Hi Supriya,
    Ur pic looks awesome!!!!
    I make idli fry in the same way(shallow fry) except I do not add any other ingredients( not even salt, I try to avoid salt as much as possible), its more like idli “fries”and we usually enjoy it with ketchup.

3. Aps says:

Amma used to cut them into slices apply ghee nd fry…. when i started to cook i started making Idli Manchurians… It tastes Awesome…. This luks lovely

4. spice says:

looks yummy….& I know they are tasty too…..my brother & sister both make these kind with few more spices….and not with the leftovers, at mom’s house idli’s are made specially for this purpose some time…

5. Soma says:

This is one awesome snack. I am going to be doing this soon, not with left overs.. I think these makes great party platters too.. with some spicy dipping chutney.

6. Raaga says:

Would you believe I made 2 batches of extra idlis last morning so I could make this with the “leftovers”

I toss in some molaga podi while roasting and it tastes lovely!

7. Mythili says:

This looks really nice. I used to fry full idlys on a dosa tava with bit of oil and have it as an evening snack. Next time will surely try your way. In method section, step 4 you have mentioned “ddd mustard seeds”. What does that mean? I took it as “add mustard seeds” – just FYI.

8. Bong Mom says:

I love idli fry. When in B’lore we used to order idlis from the neighborhood darshini and then next day I would use it for idli fry 🙂

Yours looks extremely beautiful, mine would be just crumbled

9. Madhuram says:

Just like fries you can roast these in the oven too Supriya. I make it quite often. Spread the idlis on a baking sheet, spray it with non stick cooking spray and idli milagai podi and roast it at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until you get the desired crispness.

10. Spice Rack says:

I would love to try Idli fries, I haven’t tasted this before, It looks healthy because there is enough herbs and spices found only in the spice rack.

11. Pingback: Plasma vs LED TVs