Leftover Idli? Try Idli fries

idli_fries-009-968x1024

Whenever I have leftover Idlis, I usually make Idli Upma or Idli Roast. Idli Roast is shallow frying whole Idlis on a flat pan, until it is crunch on the outside and soft on the inside. Suffice to say that many a times; we look forward to eating Idly roast more than the regular Idlis.

I got this idea of cutting the idlis as strips and making Idli Fries, when I was flipping through a food magazine at a dentist’s office. The recipe there was for making baked fries using Polenta, somewhat similar to this. I loved the idea and used the concept for making Idli Fries.

Even though this called as Fries, the Idli strips are shallow fired and not-deep fried. It’s an extension to the Idli Roast in the sense these are cut as strips instead of using whole Idlis for roasting.

idli_fries-019-1024x776

The kids will love this, not only for taste but also for the shape. It is easy to prepare and makes a good evening snack. I think it is a cool idea to pack this as a side item in the kid’s lunch boxes. The next time around I plan to add some shredded carrots, peas to make it more filling and nutritious.

Ingredients:

• Leftover Idlis
  •  Curry leaves
  •  Coriander leaves (optional)
  •  Sesame seeds(optional)
  •  Mustard seeds
  •  Oil, salt

idli_fries-004-1024x756

Method:

• Take Idlis and cut them into strips (like cutting potato French fries). I cut them thicker that the usual potato fries.
  • Take a thick flat pan (preferable non-stick), and add oil on medium to high heat.
  • Add the cut idlis and toss it around in the pan. Do not handle them a lot as it tends to break. (I used rubber spatula to turn them around).
  • Add little more oil onto a side and ddd mustard seeds, chopped curry leaves, sesame seeds and toss around again.
  • Adding salt is optional as it depends on the idlis.
  • Make sure that the idli fries, brown evenly on all the sides.
  •  Garnish with chopped coriander (optional). Serve Hot.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

35 comments

1. Desi Soccer Mom says:

Ok, I was totally gonna post the same thing without the curry leaves tadka cause I make it for my son. But yours look so much better and are an adult version of my kid version. I think the coconut and peas will be great in it.
    Mine are much simpler with just salt and pepper and ‘fried’ on a cast iron tava with some ghee. Of course, the ketchupholic that my son is, he eats it with ketchup.

2. Mayuri says:

Hi Supriya,
    Ur pic looks awesome!!!!
    I make idli fry in the same way(shallow fry) except I do not add any other ingredients( not even salt, I try to avoid salt as much as possible), its more like idli “fries”and we usually enjoy it with ketchup.

3. Aps says:

Amma used to cut them into slices apply ghee nd fry…. when i started to cook i started making Idli Manchurians… It tastes Awesome…. This luks lovely

4. spice says:

looks yummy….& I know they are tasty too…..my brother & sister both make these kind with few more spices….and not with the leftovers, at mom’s house idli’s are made specially for this purpose some time…

5. Soma says:

This is one awesome snack. I am going to be doing this soon, not with left overs.. I think these makes great party platters too.. with some spicy dipping chutney.

6. Raaga says:

Would you believe I made 2 batches of extra idlis last morning so I could make this with the “leftovers”

I toss in some molaga podi while roasting and it tastes lovely!

7. Mythili says:

Hey,
    This looks really nice. I used to fry full idlys on a dosa tava with bit of oil and have it as an evening snack. Next time will surely try your way. In method section, step 4 you have mentioned “ddd mustard seeds”. What does that mean? I took it as “add mustard seeds” – just FYI.
    Mythili

8. Bong Mom says:

I love idli fry. When in B’lore we used to order idlis from the neighborhood darshini and then next day I would use it for idli fry 🙂

Yours looks extremely beautiful, mine would be just crumbled

9. Madhuram says:

Just like fries you can roast these in the oven too Supriya. I make it quite often. Spread the idlis on a baking sheet, spray it with non stick cooking spray and idli milagai podi and roast it at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until you get the desired crispness.

10. Spice Rack says:

I would love to try Idli fries, I haven’t tasted this before, It looks healthy because there is enough herbs and spices found only in the spice rack.

11. Pingback: Plasma vs LED TVs