Oven baked potatoes fries are a frequent at our house especially on Sunday’s. This along with our regular Lima Beans Saar, Upkari and a salad is something that makes our Sunday lunch special.
This is a very good alternative to those deep-fried fat laden potato fries. Peeled potato are cut into strips and then baked in the oven. Sweet potatoes can also be baked similar way and forms a wonderful accompaniment to any meal. This is a good one for the kids too.
I have used sweet dried basil as on of the seasoning. This is readily available in regular grocery in the spice section. This can be skipped altogether or if preferred Rosemary, oregano, sesame seed, dry garlic powder can be used instead.
- 2 large potatoes (cut into long sticks)
- Red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Sweet Basil
- Turmeric (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel the potato and cut into long sticks and keep aside. [ the way I do this, is to chop the potato into circular discs 1/2 inch each. Then cut through the discs and then make long strips.]
- Take 2 baking pans and line them with aluminum foil. Grease it with a spoonful of oil and spread it around evenly or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl toss the chopped potatoes along with oil, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and basil powder and coat the potatoes evenly. Add more oil if necessary.
- Then spread them in the baking pan. Make sure that the potatoes are spread out and form a single layer.
- Bake for about 10 minutes and after that open the oven and turn the potatoes with the spatula so that the other side is allowed to bake.
- Bake for another 25 minutes or so until it turns golden brown. (Keep checking at regular intervals, and toss them around so that the potato sticks do not turn black)
- Note: Another great tip I learnt is to broil the already baked potato at the end, maybe for about 5 minutes. This makes the potato crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.