Sweet corn soup is one of our favorite soups to order at an Indian restaurant. Thick and creamy with a healthy dose of vegetables it is a great way to start a meal. It is an Indian Chinese soup recipe which can be easily made at home using fresh or canned corn and few other ingredients.
I decided to make this at home for an Indo Chinese style potluck dinner. I received guidance from her about the procedure and she suggested using cream style canned corn. Cream style corn has a good amount of crushed corn and it helped in bringing in the right taste and the desired creamy consistency.
Just a quick note, since I had put in some soy sauce and ketchup the color has turned pale yellow otherwise it was white to begin with.
Adapted from: Show Me the Curry
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup carrot (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp onions (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder (taste)
- 2 tsp corn starch (mixed with ¼ cup water)
- 2 green onions (chopped diagonally including the whites)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan (preferable non-stick) and then add the ginger and garlic and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it turns translucent.
- Add the celery and carrots, little salt and sauté for 2 minutes until the carrot cooks a bit.
- Now open the cream style corn can and add this to the mixture. Mix and add salt and pepper.
- Note: Clean the can with little water and scrape any corn paste add the contents to this mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock, mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small cup make a paste of corn starch and water with no lumps.
- Add this to the soup and cook again.
- Garnish with spring onions (green part) and serve hot.