This is a versatile curry and has strong influence of
- 1 medium raw mango
- 1 small bitter gourd (bitter melon/karela) optional
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 2 tsp urad daal
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 red chillies
- Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Jaggery for taste
- ½ tsp urad daal
- 2 red chillies cut into inch
- Salt to taste
- Reel the raw mango and cut into chunks. If using the bitter gourd scrape it and then cut it into chunks as well.
- Boil water and cook the cut raw mango and bitter gourd. Retain the water.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a small pan and add the red chillies and mix until it turns crisp. Keep aside.
- In the same pan heat 1 tsp of oil and separately roast the urad daal and methi seeds. Keep aside and allow to cool.
- Grind the roasted red chillies along with urad daal, methi, coconut and water, to a smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to the boiled vegetables along with the water. Add salt and little jaggery for taste.
- Make a tadka(seasoning) of mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafetida, red chillies, urad daal and add it to the boiled mixture.
This pairs well with rice and also with rotis/chapathis.