- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup moong daal
- ¼ cup masoor daal (optional)
- 2-3 chillies (red/green)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- ½ cup shredded coconut [ add more depending on preference]
- 5-10 pepper corns
- 1 tsp powdered pepper
- Asafetida (hing)
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds
- Jeera (cumin seeds)
- Soak the moong daal, masoor daal in enough water for about 45 minutes. Soak the Rice separately in water as well.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, asafetida, chillies and whole pepper corns.
- Drain the water from the daal and rice completely and add it to the above. Mix well.
- Add salt, 5 cups of water (more if you prefer this mushy) and mix well. Make sure that the rice does not stick to the bottom. Add the grated ginger, powdered pepper. Check the water for seasonings. The salt, spice should be of higher level.
- Close the cooker and allow cooking until 4-5 whistles.
- After the cooker is cooled down, add the ghee and shredded coconut when still hot. Ghee imparts a wonderful aroma to the dish. Serve Hot!