Daal along with rice makes its appearance during our meal time in one form or the other; be it the humble daali thoy, Palak Daal, Mango Daal or the ubiquitous rasam, sambhar we have it pretty much every day.
At times, I also make this Spicy Tomato Daal which is quick, healthy and delicious. An Indian colleague of mine describes it as healthy soup in the comfort of a bowl. I couldn’t agree more, I mean after a long day what better way to unwind than to have this simple thick daal along with a bowl of rice?
- 3/4 cup toor daal
- ¼ cup moong daal (split)
- 3 ripe tomatoes (medium sized) [chopped]
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 dry red chilies (broken)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind juice
- 2 tsp Jeera/ cumin seeds ( I like lot of cumin seeds)
- Turmeric a pinch
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the moong daal+ toor daal in enough water along with 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds, ¼ cup chopped tomato, a pinch turmeric and 2-3 halves of broken red chilli.
- After it is cooked, mash it and keep aside.
- Now take a deep vessel and heat 2 tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. After they splutter, add jeera seeds and curry leaves, broken red chillies and reduce the heat a bit.
- Add the finely diced tomatoes, salt and let it cook for a while until the water from the tomato is all absorbed.
- Add chili powder and if required stream in little bit of oil. Add the tamarind paste and cook again.
- Next add the boiled mashed daal and stir well. Let it simmer for about 5- 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
This tastes good when it is a bit tangy, so go little extra on the tamarind or tomatoes. Serve with rice.